[language study] Yping88 and 牧马人 on Australia Day

[复制链接]
发表于 5-10-2018 08:20:27 | 显示全部楼层
Flat out yesterday. Will get back on this today
回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 5-10-2018 14:17:42 | 显示全部楼层
yearshappy 发表于 4-10-2018 23:46
You're certainly spot on and you're begging the question, whose history is it?
It's not the hist ...

True that winners are grinners!

I certainly could tell that you were trying to get objective and perspective while having the limited resource and data at hands! Tough, isn't it!

Guess it doesn't hurt to throw a few questions that may never generate any answers to. But, I believe those questions could at least help us to understand why the indigenous communities have been doing what they do and cast their doubt in the appropriateness of the date Australia Day has been set!  

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 深有同感!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 5-10-2018 14:19:26 | 显示全部楼层
yearshappy 发表于 4-10-2018 23:46
You're certainly spot on and you're begging the question, whose history is it?
It's not the hist ...

Look like you have dug in a bit deeper into Indigenous literature and culture, do you mind sharing a bit more, sweet pea?

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 你太有才了!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 5-10-2018 15:21:18 | 显示全部楼层
-        What happened is already history. There were some bad things but not bad overall. W/o settlers coming, conquering, colonizing this land we wouldn’t be able to have this nation which we live in. Something had to happen to lead us to here today. So I was sorry for those people who were hurt, trampled, de-humaned in the past but as a beneficiary I’m still glad that this country was built. A tragedy free building process sounds ideal but it never happens in reality. w/o such process this land would still be never-never and the aboriginals would still live in stone age and have the life expectancy at 30 and still being raping their kids.

-        When two way of lives with 40,000 yrs gap meet each other violence, tears and blood shed are guaranteed. The ruling class in London was facing population explosion in late 1700’s. Some people had to be sent away to new colonies otherwise they would have to deal with implosion within their own tiny little island. And what options did they have? US just got independent. I’m sure they felt thrilled that they still had Australia. And under that circumstances are we really expecting them to be so thoughtful about what the diseases the settlers might brought to new land and kill innocent aboriginals? Come on. Let’ be realistic here. Sometimes we are too obsessed with the so called universal values, universal morality. Well there was never such thing and never will. Those are nothing but madeup words. When Uncle Sam and his sidekicks UK and OZ are still dropping bombs all over the places in the middle east to expect their ancestors to care about the wellbeing of the aboriginals 200 yrs go is just too wishful.

-        Everyone is an individual. No matter white or brown. One is also an individual to all his forefathers in before. No one should inherit the guilt unless the guilt is from his own. No one is entitled to asked for compensation unless the systematic persecution or the discrimination which were imposed on his forefathers are still imposed on him. As individuals we draw lessons from the mistake our forefathers made but everyone should keep moving on instead of living in the past.

-        No matter how much victimized some aboriginal people want to be for those who were born post-apartheid nobody owes nothing to them. More over as an Chinese Australian neither I or my forefathers got involved in the atrocities against the aboriginals I definitely owe nothing to them. In fact some of my tax money has been used as handout to pay for my never existing ‘collective guilt’. Done more than I should have.

-        This beautiful country was built by the settlers who we all owe credit to. But as minority if it weren’t for the social movement of equality decades ago we wouldn’t even be able to come. But did that have anything to do with the aboriginals? No they were only free riders as well. The background of the end for white supremacy was the expansion of communism in 1960s and 1970s. The anti-colonism and the cosmopolitanism which were integrated in the communism back then were so appealing to the third world countries so the West had to self-evolve to compete with that. This is the factor from outside. There were something inside as well, the movement which was initiated by African Americans and got recognized worldwide. We owe credit to them.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 你太有才了!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 5-10-2018 18:30:42 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yearshappy 于 5-10-2018 17:34 编辑
yping88 发表于 5-10-2018 13:19
Look like you have dug in a bit deeper into Indigenous literature and culture, do you mind sharing ...

bits and pieces accumulated here and there over these years & a by-product of reading about the Australian history, for reference https://freeoz.org/ibbs/thread-1299166-1-1.html

In it, the book titled The World of the First Australians was what I recommend to like-minded people

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 6-10-2018 21:06:01 | 显示全部楼层
看着累,路过

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 安慰一下……

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 24-10-2018 15:44:24 | 显示全部楼层
High time to report back to my post now!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 你太可爱了!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 24-10-2018 16:11:58 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 24-10-2018 17:27 编辑

Here, I would like to touch base with you all on the Indigenous Rights campaign between mid 1940s and 1960s, during which there was a joint atomic testing program and mining initiatives in the making in outback central-west participated by British and Australia government.

This atomic testing program required a meteorological station established on the vast land where some Aborigines still lived a hunting/nomadic lifestyle. But, the Commonwealth government proposed to launch the atomic testing rocket there and build the weather station. Out of grave concerns over those nomad groups' well-being, the then Western Australia government took the matter to the parliament, put forward that the nuclear testing and meteorological station building was a serious violation of those Aborigines's land right and would pose a grievous impact on their health well-being.

That's then Australia government started realizing there still were groups Aborigines roaming in outback central-west! Three teams were appointed there to do some survey on Aborigines' general well-being and their lifestyle in the scotching hot desert! Among those teams were Anthropologists, Journalists (Guess who led the journalist team--Rupert Morduch), and Western Australia government health officials.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 24-10-2018 16:35:15 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 24-10-2018 19:06 编辑

Surprisingly, both Anthropologists and Rupert Murdoch reached a conclusion quite in contrast to the claim made by Western Australia government team. And controversially, Mr Murdoch published his survey with a photo claimed taken on his journey but actually proved taken by someone else a few years earlier.

To take Western Australia government's concerns seriously, Commonwealth government resent a different team with the film maker and photographers. And this survey dramatically took the public aback, in which they saw how those Aborigines starved and suffered serious malnutrition, how the children were fed on their mother's dry breasts and how the animals they were hunting for became dehydrated in the sizzling sun and made their food resource scarce.

Here, guess I would dare to say that this might be the first time the White Australians collectively realized how the Aborigines' civil rights were fiercely violated and how much sufferings they endured in the outback. Then, the general public came to their collective conscience and protested government's movement to launch the nuclear program or allow mining businesses on the vast Indigenous land!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 24-10-2018 16:47:00 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 24-10-2018 17:07 编辑

Here, I would like to take my hat off to the following influential figures who were true about their survey, advocated for Aborigines' land right and opposed to the testing for British's nuclear weapons.

Doris Blackburn
Charles Duguid
Donald Thomson
Doug Nicholls

Hats off to the then peace group, Indigenous activists, Women's Christian Temperance Union and Australia public for their clear conscience over the violation of Indigenous people's rights, concerns over their welfare and protest against nuclear weapon testing and mining businesses on Indigenous' tangible assets!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 24-10-2018 17:00:02 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 24-10-2018 17:03 编辑

In spite of Australia public's outcry and protest, Commonwealth government still decided to go ahead with its joint nuclear weapon testing, but promised the public there wouldn't be any road built on that land. However, the government eventually broke its promise to Australians and Indigenous activists, and the developers advanced their adventures into this land through the graded roads built to launch their mining businesses and build the meteorological station!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 24-10-2018 21:35:07 | 显示全部楼层
In this post, please allow me to inject an article and then, I can explore a little bit deeper.

https://larryhannigan.com/2018/01/26/australia-day-26th-january-1788/

International law recognises all territories acquired through invasion and annexation by force, prior to World War II, as lawful conquests...This 'Right of Conquest' doctrine was first conceived by the International Law Commission of the United Nations and later adopted as UN General Assembly Resolution 3314...Provided that all citizens of a lawfully conquered territory are granted equal rights by the local law, international law doesn't consider the descendants of the conqueror and the conquered as two separate peoples...Had Australia actually been invaded, the descendants of its native population would be classified as a conquered people and their land rights would be abolished under UN Resolution 3314.

So, dare I say that thanks to this UN resolution on the land right, all the countries that were colonized through either conquest or free settlement during colonial era could rely on a law to claim the land title  as far as land right was concerned. Otherwise, if those countries' indigenous population collectively started claiming back their ancestors' land, it would throw the whole international communities map into an incredible turmoil.

But, please bear in mind that this law only was applicable to the lands that were conquered prior to World War II. From then on out, there are different international laws to hold accountable the international communities behaviour for protecting each and every country or territory's and integrity and sovereignty.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 24-10-2018 21:57:34 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 25-10-2018 05:23 编辑

Then, there comes a question: Was Australia invaded or settled? The answer to this question would be able to settle the land right that had been bothering all Australians for an awfully long time! According to the international law, the settlers could only claim the continent right if it was deemed TERRA NULLIUS--belong to no one, when the settlement started. However, it was well known fact that Indigenous people lived on this land for 50,000-65,000 years before British explorers landed, so, TERRA NULLIUS status didn't apply here in the land title reconciliation process!  

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 你太有才了!

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 25-10-2018 06:47:22 | 显示全部楼层
Yping88 is really diving into the murky water

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 你太可爱了!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 15:22:35 | 显示全部楼层
yearshappy 发表于 25-10-2018 06:47
Yping88 is really diving into the murky water

Hahaha, you know me very well

But don't get all comfortable yet, you need to switch on and hold your beacon up high, so I can navigate out of this murky water without trouble breathing!

The murkiest path is yet to come!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 Aye captain!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 15:38:42 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 25-10-2018 15:52 编辑

I am now all equipped to dive into a 1982's case in which a group of Meriam people (Torres Strait Islanders) challenged Australia's legal system both in Queensland and Supreme Court about their land rights to Murray Island.

The then sitting judge in highest Court was Moynihan, the plaintiffs' representative was Eddie Mabo, therefore, this famous case has been referred as Mabo Decision both nationally and international ever since!

Please bear with me! Let me take a long, big breath!
回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 15:42:31 | 显示全部楼层
To ease all of us in, let me copy a short text from Mabo Case:

Mabo case

The Mabo Case was a significant legal case in Australia that recognised the land rights of the Meriam people, traditional owners of the Murray Islands in the Torres Strait. The Mabo Case challenged the existing Australian legal system from two perspectives:

1. On the assumption that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples had no concept of land ownership before the arrival of British colonisers in 1788 (terra nullius).

2. That sovereignty delivered complete ownership of all land in the new Colony to the Crown, abolishing any existing rights that may have existed previously.

https://aiatsis.gov.au/explore/articles/mabo-case

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
Serin + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 16:31:16 | 显示全部楼层
Mabo Case was initially presented to Queensland's high court and Supreme Court in 1982 by a group of Meriam indigenous people led by Eddie Mabo to argue about their Native Title to Murray Island.

The then chief justice requested Queensland high court judge Moynihan to determine the claim. But this case had to be adjourned in the proceeding due to the fact that Mabo's group had to throw in case against the constitutional validity of the then Queensland Coast Islands Declaratory Act, which was past in Queensland's parliament trying to preempt Meriam groups case (This Act was effective after this group brought their case to court, but before Mabo case was settled. How sneaky!!), and retrospectively distinguish Meriam group's claim to Murray Island.

Oh, brother, this is quite exhausting!
回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 16:38:46 | 显示全部楼层
After review, The 1985 Queensland Coast Islands Declaratory Act was distinguished on the ground that the Act was in conflict with 1975's Racial Discrimination Act.

Then, the Mabo's case was considered valid and granted a chance to be proceeded in Queensland's high court.

Good on you, Australia!
回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 16:51:54 | 显示全部楼层
The case was settled until 1990, after calling on many elderly witnesses, personal visits to the claimed areas, getting upclose and personal to more of island life, and even questioned some other witnesses who took the opposite standing on the case, judge Moynihan determined that Mabo's group successfully proved that Meriam's custom and traditional laws prevailed in claiming their original land rights and obligations to Murray Island.
回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 17:00:23 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 26-10-2018 23:32 编辑

In 1992, six out of seven judges in high court came to conclusion that Murray Island was not Terra Nullius or Occupied by no one when British settlement started, therefore, the Meriam People could claim their ownership to against "the whole world to possession, occupation, use and enjoyment to most of the Murray Island.

Plus, since this case, high court inserted in Australia law a legislation of native title asserting that Indigenous people had inhabited this land for thousands of years long before the British settlers ever did, and thus were entitled to the land through their own customs and traditional laws. Dispossessing Indigenous people of their land piece by piece to accommodate the settlements' growth and guaranteed Australia's advance as a developed modern entity. (However, this painted Australia in a bad light as a nation in the international standing, didn't it).
回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 17:17:06 | 显示全部楼层
Quote:

The new doctrine of native title replaced a 17th century doctrine of terra nullius in which British claims to possession of Australia were justified on a wrongful legal presumption that Indigenous peoples had no settled law governing occupation and use of lands. In recognising that Indigenous peoples in Australia had prior rights to land, the Court held that these rights, where they exist today, will have the protection of the Australian law until those rights are legally extinguished.

The High Court decision in the Mabo v. Queensland (No.2) altered the foundation of land law in Australia and the following year the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth), was passed through the Australian Parliament. This opened the way for claims by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to their traditional rights to land and compensation.
回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 17:24:24 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 25-10-2018 17:45 编辑

So, what is Mabo Decision's significance in Australia's judicial history? Because it's legal issue and can't be taken any lightly. I would have no legal capacity interpreting it or any writing competency taking any key message out of it. Then, I would be obliged to present it to you as originally put.

There were five key issues of importance to legal precedent in the Mabo decision for the recognition of Indigenous peoples’ rights in Australia:

Reviewing the implications of Australia’s settled status.

Applying the principle of non-discrimination in the enjoyment of property rights.

Explaining the operation of the Crown’s sovereign radical title.

Recognising native title and the source of rights in Indigenous law and custom.

Asserting the power of the state to extinguish native title rights.

https://aiatsis.gov.au/explore/articles/mabo-case

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 25-10-2018 17:42:45 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 26-10-2018 14:32 编辑

Rambled on just like this, I only wish that I could present a piece of history I happened to dive into and turned some stones within.

Then, I reckon it will be serving nothing but a reminder for me to reflect on the roots Australia has been springing out of, to appreciate the hardship both Indigenous people and early settlers pulled themselves through advancing Australia forward, to praise what a great nation Australia has grown into, to pay my very respect to those who fought for Indigenous human and land rights; who advocated and represented Australia as a great nation; who were courageous enough to look back on the colonial history; who honestly told the next generation what modern Australia's past was all about; who were determined to put the past behind and stand up united with all races as a whole to do their own personal best and make Australia a great place for people from all different ethnic backgrounds to find their feet on!

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yearshappy + 50 精品文章!

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 26-10-2018 14:07:58 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yearshappy 于 26-10-2018 14:11 编辑
yping88 发表于 25-10-2018 17:24
So, what is Mabo Decision's significance in Australia's judicial history? Because it's legal issue a ...

Mabo case is indeed influential and there are a number of documentaries and films made specifically for it. The topics you've picked up are almost all debateful : the issue of indiginous peoples' land title is complicated both at the societal and political levels, just like many historical issues all over the world that there is hardly a one-size-fit-all soclution there. .

Just to add a couple of points to your post for references:
  • The idea of 'Terra Nullius' was derived from John Locke's 'property rights'. I've, in recent years, come to realise that lots of the Enlightenment ideals, from today's point of view, had positive and nagetive effects in the same time, and were productive to some people as well as somewhat harmful to other peoples, e.g. progress theory(civilised vs premitives, colonisation), race theory (racism, eugenics), social Darwinism, just name a few.
  • There was a well-known Aboriginal young man during the colonial time of Australia (I couldn't recall his name at the moment). He learned English language very well and he was associated with the colonial officials; he had a few trips to London. I read some documents at that time that some colonial officals admitted that the land (near the Sydney harbour) was 'belong to' the young man and his tribe.

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Absolutely a masterpiece

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 26-10-2018 14:16:17 | 显示全部楼层
the man's name - Bennelong

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 谢谢分享!

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 26-10-2018 14:58:47 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 yping88 于 26-10-2018 15:34 编辑
yearshappy 发表于 26-10-2018 14:07
Mabo case is indeed influential and there are a number of documentaries and films made ...

They are all indeed debatable and controversial, aren't they!

While I was going through Indigenous past and Mabo Case, I found myself so emotionally exhausted and tortured myself with the questions whether I needed to go there and what I wanted to achieve!

Then, I convinced myself to dig a little deeper about this nation's past, because whatever that was, I should be obliged to get myself acquainted with it and gain a bit historic perspective about it if I have found pride in calling my adopted country a permanent home!

Having said that the Indigenous people had been wrongly done by in the past, I have found comfort in the facts that there have been quite a few organizations and advocate groups who have been relentlessly fighting for indigenous people for various rights and social justice. This is what I will be focused on and be grateful to the British forefathers and pioneers who fought so hard to advance Australia to what it is today!
回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 26-10-2018 15:09:28 | 显示全部楼层
Mabo case is indeed influential and there are a number of documentaries and films made ...

Mabo case was such a unique case standing out in both Australia and international scale, for the case of this kind has never stricken the well-established western legal systems anywhere else in the colonial societies, the United States, New Zealand, and so forth!

The judicial answers to Mabo's case and the significance it represents by no means have painted Australia in the best light in the international communities!

回复  

使用道具 举报

发表于 26-10-2018 15:10:19 | 显示全部楼层
yping88 发表于 26-10-2018 14:58
They are all indeed debatable and controversial, aren't they!

While I was going through Indige ...

It's all worth it, I believe.   

评分

参与人数 1威望 +50 收起 理由
yping88 + 50 Exactly

查看全部评分

回复  

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 26-10-2018 15:22:57 | 显示全部楼层

Of course, almost every invention, new technique, policy comes into existence carrying with it the pros and cons, sometimes, pros far better outweigh the cons, in such a case, the society finds its gratification and enjoys it while trying to bring down the cons to the lowest possible level. However, when the cons exceed the pros and cause the negative imbalance, the society would be hit by the confusion a great deal, then, it would rely on its political and judicial body to correct the balance.

Oh, boy! As soon as the word CORRECT comes around, another word OVERCORRECT immediately hits me! But, that's how a society constantly initiates the conversations and moves forward as a whole.
回复  

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | FreeOZ用户注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|FreeOZ论坛

GMT+11, 29-3-2024 03:15 , Processed in 0.084973 second(s), 64 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.